About Independent Study
Independent Study Information
Enrollment for students in Grades 11 and 12 is predominantly in independent study courses. Because of EGCS’s small facility and alternative scheduling, 11th and 12th grade workshops meet at non-standard days and times. Additionally, with the school’s schedule for these workshops is non standard, transportation must not be a factor and all students and parents/guardians agree to attend workshops and academic activities as assigned by the school.
Upon successful enrollment at Elk Grove Charter, each student will be assigned an Independent Study Teacher. The Elk Grove Charter School teachers are fully-credentialed and act as liaisons between the school and the family. The independent study teacher’s main goal is to serve each student’s educational needs to the best of her or his ability.
Independent Study Teachers are responsible for:
- Ensuring that each of their assigned students is registered in and is continuously attending required subject workshops
- Completing required documentation and records for each student.
- Advising and counseling students and parents/guardians about the student’s educational needs, responsibilities, and requirements.
- Communicating school information to parents/guardians and students
- Communicating information from parents/guardians and students to school administrative staff.
- Keeping current with school policy and procedures, state and district standards and benchmarks, and educational methodologies and techniques.
- Evaluating student progress and assigning grades for semester report cards.
- Meeting weekly for a minimum of 60 minutes with each student.
- Providing direct instruction and assessments in assigned coursework.
- Ensuring each student participates in California state mandated assessments.
- Ensuring every student abides by the academic code of conduct (Appendix 3).
- Communicating with the workshop teachers as needed.
ISP Teacher Contact Information
Kim, Chin Son
Life After High School
PE Course 1
PE Course 2
- Local Control Accountability Program (LCAP)
- Other Programs
- Middle School
- 9th & 10th Core
- Independent Study
- EGUSD- Satellite Program